Saturday, March 24, 2012

Photo of the Week

Young Abbeyside Hurlers c. 1920
Back Row (L to R): Nacko Ryan, Paddy Needham, Jimmy Donovan, Mickey Morrissey, George Donovan.
Front Row (L to R): Tommy Whelan, Paddy (Fogger) Morrissey, Tom Burke, Gus Whelan, Ned Whelan.

This week's photo takes us back almost 100 years, prior even to the founding of the Abbeyside Club.  Note the almost hockey-like hurleys used by the young Village lads at the time.  Many of the family names mentioned here played a significant role in our club down through the years and indeed some are still involved to this day.

Club History
Abbeyside / Ballinacourty GAA Club was formed in 1967 as a result of the amalgamation of Abbeyside Hurling and Football Clubs and Ballinacourty Football Club. It is situated within the Parish of Abbeyside, Ballinroad and Garranbane. Located on the eastern side of the River Colligan, it forms the northern and eastern shorelines of Dungarvan Harbour from Abbeyside Church to Ballinacourty Lighthouse
Development Fund
Abbeyside/Ballinacourty GAA Club has been growing at a dramatic pace over the past 10 years with the population of our parish increasing rapidly. We must ensure that we have the best facilities for all our players. We want to ensure that the next generation have the facilities that they need and deserve. We are asking supporters and friends to support this project over the next five years.
Strategic Plan
Past generations have had their visions for the future of our club. These are our current aims and with these achieved we hope to hand on the club to future generations in the same healthy state it was passed onto us.
Abbeyside/Ballinacourty GAA Club, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland.
Website by: Déise Design