Saturday, August 25, 2012

Photo of the Week

Abbeyside Hurling Team from 1920s
Back Row (L to R): P. Woulfe, W. Burke, P. O'Leary, J. Burke, S. Power, S. Hennebry, A. Halley, P. Beatty, M. Gambon.
Middle Row (L to R): T. O'Mahony, P. Burke, T. Power, A. Young, J. Moloney.
Front Row (L to R): Matt Moloney, Johnson Burke, J. Organ, Mick Moloney, D. Cullinan.

This week's photo, taken in the early 1920s, shows a young Abbeyside team and mentors. These players would have been among the first to represent the club following its foundation in 1927.  Note that a set of jerseys had already been acquired and there is also tin across the bas of some hurleys.
Club History
Abbeyside / Ballinacourty GAA Club was formed in 1967 as a result of the amalgamation of Abbeyside Hurling and Football Clubs and Ballinacourty Football Club. It is situated within the Parish of Abbeyside, Ballinroad and Garranbane. Located on the eastern side of the River Colligan, it forms the northern and eastern shorelines of Dungarvan Harbour from Abbeyside Church to Ballinacourty Lighthouse
Development Fund
Abbeyside/Ballinacourty GAA Club has been growing at a dramatic pace over the past 10 years with the population of our parish increasing rapidly. We must ensure that we have the best facilities for all our players. We want to ensure that the next generation have the facilities that they need and deserve. We are asking supporters and friends to support this project over the next five years.
Strategic Plan
Past generations have had their visions for the future of our club. These are our current aims and with these achieved we hope to hand on the club to future generations in the same healthy state it was passed onto us.
Abbeyside/Ballinacourty GAA Club, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland.
Website by: Déise Design